“People think I’ve achieved quick success through luck, but I’ve always believed that you make your own luck.” – Peggy Gou
Peggy Gou’s smash hit “(It Goes Like) Nanana” stormed UK’s top 5 to take its place alongside Olivia Rodrigo, Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish. Long known to electro house music lovers as an A-List DJ, Gou is generating new interest with her latest hit and has people asking if she might actually be the world’s hottest DJ.
Gou is now crossing into mainstream territories both as a hitmaker and a style icon. Her success as a DJ, music producer, record label founder (Gudu Records), fashion designer and now chart-topping musician comes from enormous talent and hard work.
Peggy Gou has forged her own path in what she calls K-house music blending Korean and European influences into a style all her own. She’s frequently showcased at festivals such as Glastonbury or Coachella, which has a daily capacity of 125,000. But Gou is absolutely a headliner in her own right and quickly sells out shows in the most sought-after venues worldwide.
Of her new hit, she said in a press statemet, “There’s a feeling we all know but is hard to describe, that feeling of love, warmth, and excitement when you’re surrounded by friends and loved ones and the energy speaks for itself. It’s difficult to put into words but to me it goes ‘nanana!’ I want this song to evoke that nanana feeling!”
Peggy Gou Rising
In addition to her talents as a world-class DJ, Peggy Gou is a style icon and entrepreneur. She is a member of a new generation of multi-dimensional celebrities who don’t limit themselves to one lane, but instead use their talents to create multiple lines of business infused with their personal brand.
Here are 7 things to know about superstar Peggy Gou:
- Peggy Gou was born Min-ji Kim in Incheon, South Korea on July 3, 1991.
- She studied fashion design at the London College of Fashion but soon after moved to her current home of Berlin to become a DJ.
- Gou completed her first track in 2014 and called it “Hungboo”, after the hero of a Korean folk tale.
- Gou is one of the most prolific DJs playing over 100 live gigs a year at both festivals and solo shows.
- Gou founded her own label, Gudu Records.
- Kirin and Peggy Goods both showcase Gou’s streetwear style as a designer. Targeted to different markets, Kirin can be found in luxury stores while Peggy Goods was created to be more accessible.
- Gou is a huge social media influencer and currently has 3.7 million followers on Instagram.