Galbi jjim is a braised short rib dish that is a favorite and festive Korean one pot meal. Hearty and delicious, Galbi jjim normally calls for a variety of specialty ingredients but fear not! An out of this world Galbi jjim can be made even when the pantry is fairly bare. Eat this with a side of hot rice and you’ll find yourself spooning up every last bit of yummy sauce.
Hearty delicious galbi jjim is also a great meal on Thanksgiving for the many Koreans who don’t like turkey. Traditional Thanksgiving ingredients like chestnuts and potatoes make great additions to this savory crowd pleaser.
Celebrity chef Baek Jong Won breaks it down for us in the video below. He separates the essential from the non-essential ingredients that go into this dish which is super helpful for people who don’t have access to Korean grocery stores which stock the more traditional ingredients.
Essential: Soy sauce, Sugar, Garlic, Scallion (Green onion), Onions, Sesame Oil, Short ribs (or brisket / flank steak if short ribs not available)
Optional: Peppers, Carrots, King oyster mushrooms, Shiitake Mushrooms, Spicy Chili, Chestnuts, Jujube, Gingko Nuts, Turnips
*For English subtitles, please click ON the CC (closed captioned) button on the lower right hand corner of the video below.
- Soy sauce: 1 and 1/3 cups (260g)
- Brown sugar: 2/3 cup (100g)
- Rice wine: 2/3 cup (120g)
- Water: 1 and 1/3 cup (240g)
- Minced garlic: 1/4 cup (40g)
- Minced ginger: 2/3 tbsp (10g)
- Scallions: 2/3 cup (50g)
- Sesame oil: 4 tbsp (30g)
- Pepper to taste
Galbi Jjim Ingredients:
- Short ribs with bone 4 1/2 lbs (2kg) (3 lbs boneless brisket or flank steak)
- 3 Stalks of scallion (160g)
- 2 King oyster mushrooms (50g)
- 2 Onions (370g)
- 3 Spicy chili (20g)
- 5 Shishito peppers (20g)
- 2 Red chili (20g)
- 1 Carrot (230g)
- 1/3 Turnip (360g)
- 1/2 Shittake mushroom (50g)
- Water 4 1/4cups (1L )
Galbi Jjim Recipe
1. Place the short ribs in cold water to drain the blood over a day (or at least an hour).
2. Cut the scallion in half and chop into small pieces.
3. Mix the sauce ingredients (soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine, water, minced garlic, minced ginger, scallion, sesame oil and pepper).
4. Trim the bottom for king oyster mushrooms and cut into 1cm-thick pieces. Trim the shiitake mushrooms or cut into 4 pieces.
5. Trim the roots of onions and cut in 4 pieces. Cut the turnips into 8 pieces and trim the edges.
6. Rinse the carrot clean and cut into 1cm-thick pieces. Chop the scallions into 2-3cm length sizes.
7. Cut the spicy chili, red chili and shishito pepper into 2 or 3 pieces according to size.
8. Rinse the drained meat clean with water.
9. Put the short ribs, sauce, 1L of water into the pot. Reduce the heat to medium when it boils and heat for 1 hour.
10. Add the turnips when the meat is tender.
11. When the turnips are halfway done, add carrot, shiitake mushroom, king oyster mushrooms and simmer.
12. Add the onions when all vegetables are cooked.
13. Add the spicy chili, shishito pepper, and red chili, mix well and finish with scallions.